Monday, June 22, 2009

Easy Writer


As I begin my first full week as a newbie blogger, I suppose now is as good a time as any to explain just what the heck this blog is intended to be.

When I first entertained the idea of starting it, those little voices of doubt began chattering: But there are already so many fitness blogs; you aren't an "expert" in the field; how can you possibly have something to write about every day?

My biggest worry was not that I would run out of things to say, but rather, would what I have to say add anything of value to the overall conversation? And then the answer, rhetorical as it was, hit me like a blind-side tackle: Why wouldn't it?

It's true, there are a lot of fitness blogs, but blogs are like clothes; you usually have to try a few on before you find one that fits just right. I hope this one will make you look and feel stunning.

And no, I don't have a degree in medicine or exercise science, and I'm not a registered dietitian. But I do have decades of experience as a fitness-industry consumer and as a practitioner of regular exercise. I'm also currently studying for the American Council on Exercise personal trainer certification, and hope to be certified before the summer's end.

I'd like to think that my biggest credential is that I'm 50 (soon to be 51), and feel great. I'm as active and strong as ever, and more open to all the possibilities that life has to offer. I think I can bring a unique perspective to the discussion of fitness. So I plan to be here most days, serving up what I hope will be some nutritious food for thought with a Rhode Island flavor and a side of humor and fun.

After having thoroughly enjoyed creating my first two posts, I suspect this blog might prove to be as much an opportunity to exercise my writing skills as it is a venue for writing about my exercise skills. We'll see where it goes. I hope you'll join me for the ride.

In deciding to go forward, I recalled one of my favorite movie lines, from The Dish: "Failure is never quite so frightening as regret."

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy - and congratulations on your great blog spot! Good information & terrific stories. Thanks for setting me straight about the mind games with the bathroom scale.
    L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy great blog!! I can't wait for you to become certified!! Hope to see you soon! Dot

    ReplyDelete