Saturday, October 17, 2009

Words to live by

I had been hoping today to offer a video of a great motivational sports speech, either from real life or the movies, because I'm planning to write about motivation next week. Sadly, though, most of the videos I found in that category were too full of profanities to post here.

Why a verbal thrashing of players that borders on abuse is considered motivational, I'll never understand. Maybe it's effective in getting the adrenaline pumping, but I think at the root of it is instilling a fear of failure, and I don't think that's a viable approach for long-term motivation.

I'll leave it to basketball great Michael Jordan to explain why.

"I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. Twenty-six times, I've been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

— Michael Jordan

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, that is a good one. Although in the context of basketball, he probably still has a pretty good percentage! I mean, hitting .400 in baseball is practically unheard of. Sadly, profanity is so common now, people don't even give it a second thought. But I'm glad you're holding up standards!

    ReplyDelete